By Gary Lloyd
TRUSSVILLE – A new Alabama Historical Commission historical marker will be revealed Sunday, March 26 at Heritage Hall in Trussville.
The Trussville History Museum will also be open to the public as part of the afternoon’s festivities, which begin at 1 p.m. The museum will close at 4 p.m. Refreshments will be served.
Heritage Hall was originally a retail general store and filling station managed by the Cahaba Cooperative Association. Built in 1938 along with the homes in the Cahaba Project, the store served the needs of the Cahaba Project residents.
In 1951, four years after Trussville incorporated as a town, the town bought the general store to establish a community center and library. It later served as band and choral rooms for the high school.
In 1988, on the building’s 50th anniversary, the Trussville Industrial Development Board restored the building. The building was dedicated to the preservation and development of the historic, civic and cultural heritage of the city through the Trussville Historical Board, the Trussville Area Chamber of Commerce and the Arts Council of the Trussville Area. The Trussville Area Chamber of Commerce had existed since 1946 but did not have a permanent office until the restoration in 1988.
Additionally, a bench honoring Earl Massey and his years of historic preservation will be unveiled for the first time. Massey died in August 2022.
Those who have memories of Heritage Hall, whether it be filling up with gas at the filling station, purchasing items from the co-op store, selecting books from the library, or any other Heritage Hall-specific memory, are encouraged to attend and tell their stories.